08 November 2011

Checking in from Uranus


So way back on October 15th I applied for and was accepted into the Half Fanatics Asylum as Fanatic #1433.  There are various levels of Fanatic status with the lowest level being Neptune and the highest being the Sun.  I am currently on Uranus (hahaha, yes - that is funny) but plan on changing that as soon as possible!  New Year's resolution #1- move off of Uranus.  If I had run the Race for a Soldier in my own name I would have qualified for Saturn.  Just sayin'.  Here is a link to the criteria levels in case you care to join me in the Asylum or just don't even have a clue what I am talking about and are curious:

http://www.halffanatics.com/criteria.html

Let's see...what else have I been up to.  Oh, my hubby and I are completely booked for our Vegas trip as well as registered for the Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon on December 4th!  I cannot wait, it is going to be such a blast.  There are 2 other couples heading down as well- Cynthia and Gene (Will's brother) and Tiana and Bill.  Cynthia, Tiana, Will and myself will be running the half marathon.  There are a few details that still need to be worked out (childcare) but otherwise we are set!

I feel like my training is going great, I have really enjoyed the RLRF program and am constantly seeing improvement in my pace times.  I am also on track to meet my goal of running 1,000 miles this year- I am currently at 879!  That means as long as I run at least 16 miles each week I will definitely hit my goal.  I am finding myself on my treadmill a bit more frequently, although I still make sure all of my long runs are outside.  Sometimes I just don't have time to drive somewhere and run and the treadmill is the best option- especially for the speed work on my track repeats/tempo runs.  Good thing I don't mind treadmill running too much!  I am currently putting together a fun and motivational board to hang in front of the TM so I have something to look at while I sweat my butt off.

Here is a fun speed work drill I did last week on the treadmill:  1 mile warm up, starting off at a 9:40 pace and moving up to about 8:40 or so by the end.  Then I ran 1/4 mile at 7:35.  Then I ran 1/4 mile at 10:00 for recovery.  I repeated that 10 times!  I followed that with a cool down mile around 9:20 or so, ending around 9:40 again.  Try this sometime- let me know how it goes!  I actually enjoy my speed work sessions, they are difficult and satisfying. 
My feet- after running 15 miles!  Do they look as tired as they felt?
Last weekend my long run was 15 miles- the longest distance I had run since the full marathon last June!  I wasn't really nervous about it, but I knew it was going to be LONG (duh)!!  So on Saturday afternoon I headed down to Ruston Way, parked at the Les Davis Pier and set out on my run.  It was really cold and I had changed my mind about a dozen times regarding my outfit.  I started with a tech shirt and arm sleeves, then decided my running jacket would be better.  I put all of my gear in my jacket pockets, including my phone thinking I would take some photos along the way since the leaves are so pretty right now.  Well, by mile 2 I was really warm and I ended up ditching my coat (and phone) in my car and just ran in my tshirt (and skirt, tall socks and hat of course!).  So there are not too many photos, but oh well. 

My amazing view
Fall has got to be the most beautiful time to run!
The run was ok- as I got down to Dock Street I started having thoughts about heading home and finishing my miles on the treadmill though.  My original plan was to run the entire length of the waterfront to Dock Street (10 miles) then do one more 2.5 mile out and back.  But I started getting nervous that I would hop in my car and head home if I got too close to it so I forced myself to run up and down Dock Street THREE times (1 mile each way, 6 miles total) so that by the time I got to my car I was .2 miles from finishing my 15!  Talk about having an argument with yourself for 2 hours!  I seriously had my mind arguing with my body the entire time I was down on Dock Street- there was an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other.  I was beyond happy when I finally reached my car that day!  On the bright side I finished the run in 2:25 with a pace of 9:39- my goal pace was 9:42!  Perfect!
After my 15 mile run- I had to take the advice on my hat multiple times!!!

2 comments: