29 December 2010

Dog Days are Over

I really don't have anything profound to report, however I feel like it has been a while since I just rambled on about a bunch of nothingness so here goes! I have been doing much more running lately, and all of it has been in my VFF's! I must have the most delicate feet in the world because although they are comfortable shoes I ended up with a couple of blisters and the bottoms of my feet were really tender for the first few runs. I am still wearing them without socks and think I will keep it that way.

So far the longest run I have done is 60 minutes while wearing them. I have also done a few 30-40 minute runs and it just keeps getting easier and easier. I do notice some soreness in my calves and the back of my heels that I don't get with normal running shoes but the best part is that my knees haven't felt achy whatsoever- and I have not worn my braces at all! I have been taking the heavy bag boxing class about twice a week and also have started going to an advanced circuit class Friday mornings. And playing soccer of course!

So, about soccer...I have put a lot of thought into this and as far as I can tell I have two options for soccer during my marathon training. Either I quit playing for 18 weeks or I play goalie. Yes, you read that correctly, I am seriously considering playing goalie for my indoor coed league! There is just no way I can continue playing Friday night games and then doing my long training runs Saturday morning if I want to be successful in my marathon. But I figure as goalie I am not doing all the running and stop/go motions that increase injury rates. Our current session has 3 games left and the last one just happens to be the Friday before my training will begin (January 31st).  So I have a bit of time to decide and hopefully try playing goalie to see how I like it.

I also realized that my running playlist was actually starting to annoy me! I was getting tired of hearing the same songs over and over so I spent some time making a new one the other night. I still need to come up with some more good running tunes so if anyone has a great song let me know!

Our family enjoyed a really nice Christmas this year.  We spent some time with my mom and my brother and his family on Christmas Eve.  She cooked homemade lasagna (my favorite) and it was a really nice evening.  Chrismas day we were able to spend at home.  We had about 16 people over and I made brunch for everyone.  We played games and the kids were able to enjoy all of their new presents.  Dinner that night was mellow and we were able to spend it with Will's brother before he headed back to Boise to live.  It was perfect.

However, I am looking forward to starting a new year. I gave up on weighing myself and checking my body fat for now. I just really don't want to know and figure I will start fresh on January 1st. Why torture myself right??? So I have been avoiding the scale at the gym but promise to get back to business next week. I am currently working on my New Year's resolutions and will have a list for you this weekend. If anyone out there is looking for some ideas here is one for you- join me at the North Olympic Discovery Marathon on June 5th, 2011!!! There is a race distance for everyone- a 5k, 10k, half marathon and full. Check it out, it is a beautiful area and what a great resolution- running!!!! http://www.nodm.com/

I will leave you with my current song obsession, enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I don't necessarily have any good song recommendations but I am wanting to put together my own list and would love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you signed up for the north olympic yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not yet! I should do it before the end of this month it is cheaper. I will let you know when I do though!

    ReplyDelete