01 January 2011

Happy New Year!

Well, another year has come and gone.  Sometimes it seems like time goes slowly, then all of a sudden you look at the date and wonder how could it possibly be December already?  Time is such a strange thing isn't it?  We rush through our workdays and want Friday to arrive so we can enjoy our weekend.  Then when Sunday night arrives we wonder how did the weekend pass so quickly?  During the winter we can't wait for summer.  During summer we can't wait for winter.  It always seems as though we don't appreciate the moment we are in, just can't wait for it to be a different day or a different month.  When there really isn't anything wrong with the present if you take a moment to slow down and enjoy it.

Which leads to the first of my 11 New Year's resolutions for 2011.  I tried to keep them simple and straightforward because they are easier to keep that way.  My resolution last year was to start running.  That was it.  I ran 525 miles in 2010 according to my Nike plus rundown so I guess I accomplished that goal!  I also ran in 9 races -three 5K's, an 8K, a 12K, a 10 mile and three half marathons!  So this year I figure I should go all out and try to improve on multiple areas of my life that need a bit of tweaking.  So here they are, in no particular order:

1.  Live in the moment and appreciate NOW

2.  Run a full marathon

3.  Reach my goal weight of 140 pounds

4.  Read more books

5.  Take my vitamins

6.  Eat more fruits and vegetables
**I signed us up for a delivery service from a local farm (CSA) so every other week we get an assortment of fresh/local produce delivered to our front door.  I am very excited about this and so far have been pleased with the product (the picture above is of our first delivery).  If you are interested the website is
http://www.terra-organics.com/
and if you sign up for your own delivery...well, make sure you tell them who sent you!

7.  Eliminate fast food, french fries and candy (with the exception of dark chocolate)

8.  Allow flexibility in my training plan to avoid injury (aka- listen to my body and modify if needed)

9.  Donate stuff I no longer need or use to those who may actually want to use it

10.  Have more patience (this will be the hard one!)

11.  Have fun.  I want to have lots and lots of fun.  Smile more, laugh more and honestly say that I love my life.  Hang out with friends.  Play soccer.  Play games.  Watch movies.  Go camping.  Go hiking.  Run.

So that is it.  My resolutions for the coming year.  Not terribly complicated.  But they are special to me, in my life.  Goals are important- they give you focus and make you accountable.  I wish you all a happy and healthy new year!  Make it a great one!  I know I will.   

No comments:

Post a Comment