29 January 2011

Guilty Much???

I have this bumper sticker on my car.  It makes me smile.
So Monday is the big day.  I will begin the 18 week process that will take me 26 miles 385 yards down the trail towards the finish line of my very first marathon.  I am very excited.  I am very nervous.  I am very READY!  For those of you who have trained for and ran a marathon you know this is a huge commitment of time and energy.  There is no way to cheat when it comes to preparing for a marathon without it being painfully obvious on race day.  For those of you who know me, this type of thing is right up my alley.  I am one of those people who say "I am going to do X" and then I figure out the most logical way to achieve X and get to work.  Maybe I am a freak, but that is just how I function.

Anyways, back to the time commitment involved.  I sometimes get the impression that people feel guilty for taking time away from their children and families to exercise.  I can understand that, and sometimes I will take a morning off to spend some extra time with the kids and head to the park or zoo instead.  That type of activity is important also.  But rather than spending time feeling guilty about being away from my kids I like to think I am teaching them a very important lesson.  That being physically active is important- just as important as brushing our teeth and eating fruits and vegetables in order to stay healthy!

I want my children to grow up thinking it is normal to go to the gym on a very regular basis.  To go hiking and biking and swimming.  To set goals for themselves that seem impossible- and then achieve them.  That life is so much MORE than just going to work and watching TV.  I want to be the person that they look up to, that can offer them advice and encouragement and motivation when they need it.  So do I feel guilty for spending time exercising?  No way.  I think I would feel more guilty if I didn't.

In fact, the other day for some reason I didn't go to the gym like usual.  Niko and I ran into Safeway to grab something and he looked at me and said "hey Mom, are we going to the gym today?" and I told him no, there wasn't time to go today.  "Please mom, please can we go to the gym???" was his reply.  Gee, thanks for the guilt trip kiddo!  But it made me feel good that he enjoys going there and that he could sense our routine was a bit off.  He is one smart cookie!


       

No comments:

Post a Comment