04 January 2012

Applying What I Learned

I finally got my hair cut- took a few inches off, it feels so much better!
There are two things I learned from my second year in the running world that seem to be important in meeting my goals for 2012.  Notice I say goals- I don't think I am actually going to make any resolutions this year.  I haven't quite decided.

#1- If I want to run faster, I need to train faster.  Seems fairly obvious right?  For some reason I guess I thought the more miles I logged the easier running would be and I would just magically get faster over time.  But it just doesn't work that way, and I didn't really believe it until I started the Run Less, Run Faster program last August.  I got over my fear of running track repeats, tempo runs and managed to knock about 15 minutes off of my previous half marathon time, finishing under 2 hours!  If I want to run faster I need to train faster, the end.

#2- Trying to lose weight while training for a marathon is harder than it sounds.  I don't know how to explain it, but I have a heck of a time trying to cut calories and put in high miles each week.  After reading other blogs, I know I am not alone.  Last year one of my resolutions was to reach my goal weight- yaaaeeehhh that didn't happen.  In fact I am a couple of pounds heavier than I was at this time last year.  I blame December mostly.

My new "gym"
So for the next 90 days I have committed myself to doing the P90X2 program along with the Run Less, Run Faster 5K training plan with the ultimate goal of getting a 5K PR at the St. Paddy Day  race in Tacoma on March 17th.  I am on week 2 of the running plan and 3 days into the P90X2 videos.  I am more sore right now than I have been in a long time!  I am excited to see the results of my efforts- I have also started counting my calories again and making sure that what I choose for calories is healthy.  It would probably make that PR easier if I dropped a few pounds. 

My coach here makes sure my form is correct.  Please ignore the
random clutter- I obviously do!
I weighed in this morning, and will weigh in each Tuesday although I think I will keep the numbers to myself this time around.  I might change my mind about that though, too.  I guess I am wishy washy tonight!  Speaking of Tuesday weigh-ins, anybody else watching Biggest Loser season 13???  I haven't had a chance to watch last nights premiere, but I am excited and will probably get a chance tomorrow.

One of these days I can be as buff as my son and do chin ups.
So that is what I have been up to for the last week or two, along with working lots of early mornings which I am not used to.  In my next post I will make a list of what I am planning AFTER I get my 5K PR in March, including my race wish list for 2012.

Oh yeah- and we bought a new car last week- 2011 Chev Traverse.  Love it!!
Anybody else try the P90X series before?  Any tips or hints?  I am really enjoying Tony Horton, he is a nut. 
What races are on your 2012 wish list? 
What do you think of my new car? 
Did you make any New Year's resolutions?
Are you going to watch Biggest Loser this season? 

6 comments:

  1. Not sure what you use to track your calories but I like the my fitness pal app. I have been using it off and on and mostly like that you can scan bar codes to upload nutrition info for a specific product. I also like that you can set your percentages you want to meet of calories, carbs, protein, and fats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read that many people can actually put weight on while marathon training, that the high miles can make your body hang on to those pounds for dear life! For some reason that random fact has stuck with me as it is so counter-intuitive.
    Can't wait to read more about how you train to get faster! I have a 5K PR goal this year, too.
    And love the car! We will be in the market soooooon but I have a super tall husband so we need something with serious leg room :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started and quit P90X last year but this year I am also committed to it, we will see how it actually goes. I decided to actually better ensure success that I would start when I start class next week so that I can move into a new routine at once. After doing a couple pull ups today and seeing how far things have gone it shall be interesting to see how long before I die ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled upon your blog via Musings of a Milk Maker. I haven't read any running blogs it is kind of fun!

    I recommend reading Gary Taubes's book, Why We Get Fat. He offers a completely different, and I find pretty convincing, perspective on weight loss and exercise.

    Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a few races on my list already but for a "wish" list it would be to run a all womens race somewhere!

    I love your new ride! Looks awesome. I'm about to have mine paid off so I can't look at it to long because I don't want another payment for awhile. Don't TEMPT me....

    No New Year's resolution for me. I just made goals for myself. I posted them yesterday. Come check them out.

    Ohhh, btw. Your hair looks really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tiffany, I love reading your blog. I am, although, unable to tell you of any New year's resolutions, because I am still thinking about it. Continuing running and focusing on my triathlons are high on my goals though... But today I ate 2 slices of homemade carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, so I am not sure how well I am four g on ky weight lose goals. Lol. I love your car. I am watching Biggest Loser, of course!
    Tiana

    ReplyDelete