04 August 2010

I played hooky today

I skipped my run today.  For some reason my right inner leg muscle was bothering me all last night and when I woke up this morning it still felt tender.  I have a feeling it is from my soccer scrimmage Sunday evening because it is the motion of "kicking" or lifting my leg up and forward that is hurting.  It is probably my punishment for kicking the ball right into one of my poor teammates "business" so hard it brought him to his knees.  Oops, SORRY!  The scrimmage went really well and I even scored around 4 goals.  Too bad I can't make that happen during a real game! 

We also decided what to do with the dilemma of our large team.  We are torn between not wanting to split into two teams and also wanting more play time.  So we are going to keep one large team and also create a second team for those who want more play time- meaning 2 games in one night.  My hubby and I are going to play on both teams and I am really excited.  It is hard to improve when playtime is short and I really want to get better! 

So instead of my run today I decided we should go to the Pt. Defiance Zoo to see the baby tigers.  We had a really good time and were able to see the tigers sleeping and also awake and playing.  The kids also fed the budgie birds from seed sticks which was really cute.  My kids love animals and seem to be really good with them.  They both yelled at me because I told them that seahorses were boring- I wanted to go see something exciting- like the lemurs and meerkats!!!!  Seahorses are pretty, but seriously- what do they DO????  The males carry the eggs until they hatch which is pretty cool, but other than that...they just don't do it for me.

10 week old tiger cubs and their mom taking a nap

                                                              The kids feeding the budgies seed sticks


Want to know the story of my scar?  It happened 10 years ago at the Phoenix Underground in Pioneer Square.  It was Cinco de Mayo and a big group of us were out for the night.  I was designated driver (haha- happens a lot I guess) mainly because I didn't feel very good that day.  Towards the end of the evening I felt like I was going to be sick so I went to the bathroom where there was a line.  The next thing I knew I woke up and all of these women were surrounding me.  I had fainted for the first time ever in my life.  I split my head wide open and had to have 6 stitches that night. 

I still faint quite often, I don't really know why but I am sure it has to do with low iron and low blood pressure.  I have actually fainted twice in the last 5 months- once last March and once literally 36 hours before my half marathon I ran in June.  I know all the signs and symptoms now so I don't usually hurt myself too terribly.  In fact the last time in June I was actually laying on a bed- couldn't risk any bumps or bruises before the big race!!! 









3 comments:

  1. Nice pics from the zoo. I helped make those seed sticks, LOL. I <3 the tiger cubs! -Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, and yeah you still need to go to the doctor's about that fainting thing, it worries me, maybe you have orthostatic hypotension. :)
    Okay nurse Jaime on the way with diagnoses and everything. Glad you took time off to love the zoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running and fainting! You are hard core, sister!! Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete